Almost a month ago I was in a dear friend's wedding. While I was really looking forward to being a part of her big day, I have to confess that I was a bit terrified, as I had to do my own makeup. Most women probably wouldn't find this to be a daunting task; however, I usually leave the house with only mascara and eyeliner on. Not only did I need to learn how to beautify myself, fast, but I needed to find a way to do so that would stay put through hours of New Orleans heat and humidity. This was no small task.
Luckily, a friend of a friend is a bit of a makeup maven and always manages to look perfectly put together, whether she's just stepped out the door or sat through a double-header. I emailed her in a panic, managing to get out not much more than "Ineedmakeuptowearoutsidethroughhoursofphotoshelp!" She responded with a magical (seriously) list of products that I'll share with y'all now.
But before I do, I should probably share that although these products are idiot-proof (I was able to apply them myself after a quick run-through with the nice ladies at Bloomingdales) and look phenomal, I only break them out on special occasions. What can I say? I'm a creature of habit.
For the eyes:
Navy may seem like an odd choice, but it looks amazing. I'll be purchasing the Caviar Ink soon as well... while I love the way the blue looks, a black/brown would be more subtle. I use this brush, but you can probably find far less expensive brushes that will do a good job as well.
Now, while my friend recommended some pricier options for both mascara and eyeshadow, I had to save some money somewhere! I went with these two "cheapie" products and they turned out just fine:
A makeup artist once told me that while he's used almost every high-end brand under the sun on clients, he keeps coming back to good 'ole Maybelline. I was addicted to Chanel Inimitable mascara until my luggage got lost on a family vacation and I was forced to make do with drugstore brand makeup. Luckily, I remembered what he said, picked up some Lash Stiletto, and haven't looked back since.
Lucky me, I already had this as I'd picked it up on a whim one Sunday afternoon at Target. I was just waiting for an opportunity to use some fun shimmery eyeshadow!
For the Face:
This primer is smooth, light, and oil free so I don't have to be paranoid about it clogging up my pores. I was instructed to apply it with my fingers.
I'm not sure why I didn't go with the oil free version of this product, but it still feels very light on my skin (which, given that I rarely wear makeup, says a lot!). I use this brush to apply it, but, again, you can probably find a far less expensive brush that will do a good job.
This was used to smooth everything out. I used a large powder brush to apply it, which I just replaced with this one.
One thing I noticed about the setting powder is that it tends to make me look a bit pale (and I did not want my face looking paler than the rest of my body in photos!), so I added a little bronzer.
Ok, so it's a little pricey, but it's SO worth it! This is a product I've used in the past and it lasts for-ev-er. You know you have a good product when you let a friend use it, then they immediately go out and purchase their own!
An old favorite from sorority formals made a re-appearance. You just can't beat it!
One last comment - I've heard from every makeup artist I've ever met that you should do your eye makeup first and your face second. While this may seem counter-intuitive, please hear me out. The reason you do this is so if you spill eyeliner/mascara/eyeshadow all over your face, you don't have to wash off all of your foundation to deal with it. It also means that you can use your foundation to straighten out any smudgy eyeliner (I can't be the only person out there who has this issue on the bottom) and camouflage AWOL eyeshadow.
So there you have it: my secret stash. On the wedding day, my makeup stayed put for over 12 hours of photos, drinking, dancing, and sweating (gross, but true). I hope someone can benefit from this - I feel like I need to pay it forward since my friend was so helpful sharing her secret products with me!
No comments:
Post a Comment