Friday, April 30, 2010

Hesitantly Climbing Aboard the TOMS Bandwagon

When I first heard about TOMS shoes, I thought they were a nice idea; however, I never entertained the idea of buying a pair. It's not that I'm heartless - I donate to charitable organizations regularly and ran a marathon to raise money for one such organization last year - it's just that, well, TOMS really aren't that cute. Not only are they not cute, but I didn't think they would fit very well in to my heels-ballet flats-sandals cycle. I own only a couple of pairs of "casual" shoes which, other than my Sperrys, don't often see the light of day. TOMS just weren't going to happen for me.

Then came the holidays. My father and his wife were nice enough to give me a pair of "fancy" TOMS from the NM TOMS collection. The second I put them on I knew there was going to be trouble...

"My" TOMS. Source: http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod92680012&parentId=cat24700735&masterId=cat22800731&index=5&cmCat=cat000000cat000141cat000149cat000199cat22800731cat24700735

TOMS are like Crocs' more congenial cousin. They're super-comfortable and, while they may not be cute, they are nowhere near as heinous as Crocs are. I took my TOMS on vacation over the winter holidays; they were quite comfortable for walking around town and exploring the island. This spring, I've found myself wearing them more and more. I even wore them to work yesterday!*

So, I'll admit it, I'm a fan of TOMS shoes. They're going in to the rotation... at least until summer is over.

*This is not something I would recommend. My office has "casual" dress this week and next week, so I am able to get away with a lot of things wardrobe-wise that I would not normally be able to.

No comments:

Post a Comment